A good friend of mine sent me the below pics of his dad’s homemade offset BBQ wood smoker. It’s a 250 gallon rig with a welded-in water pan that runs the length of the smoker. It also has a gas-fed food warmer on one end. If you’ve never heard of an “offset” smoke, the concept is pretty simple: there’s an offset fire box where the wood and/or charcoal burns and then a metal pipe that runs through the length of the smoker with holes cut in it, evenly distributing the smoke and heat from the fire box. Not all offset cookers have a water pan built in, but it’s easy to just fill an aluminum tray with water and sit it on the grill if it doesn’t. Some guys don’t use a water pan of any sorts at all…., though…I’m a big fan of them as I think water does a better job of keeping the meat moist versus opening the lid every 45 minutes or so and spraying or mopping the meat. The rig below is something that is perfect for competitions, catering, charity events or large parties. Though I’d absolutely LOVE to have one of these one day, I do pretty good w/ the Weber products I have and honestly don’t know when I’ll invest in something like this….
Leave a Reply Click here to cancel reply.
- Domino’s “Fiery Hawaiian” Pizza May 21, 2013
- BBQ Rub Review: Lionheart “Original Barbecue” and “Smoked Herb & Garlic” April 30, 2013
- StoryQue: The iPad Barbecue Magazine April 17, 2013
- Book Review: Paul Kirk’s Championship Barbecue Sauces April 12, 2013
- Tri-Tip with Goat Cheese and Lemon Honey Mustard Glaze April 11, 2013
- How To Build A “Mini” Weber Smokey Mountain May 17, 2012
- Product Review: Mad Hunky Hot Whang Rub and Poultry Brine October 13, 2012
- Reader Spotlight: Detroit Lions Mini WSM October 12, 2012
- Smoke House Downtown review January 27, 2012
- Bang Bang Shrimp January 5, 2013
- Steve: With the Mini WSM, I typically don't have a water...
- TheDarker00: Hi, I recently sent you a message on youtube, howe...
- Steve: Hi Troy- As I've cooked ribs over the years, I...
- Troy: do you just put wood on the one time when you star...
- StoryQue: We also have a PDF edition for those without an iP...
appetizers babybacks bacon bbq gloves bbq guru bear claws beef beer books Boston butt brines brisket coleslaw desserts equipment featured fish glaze grill dome ham hamburgers jalapeno squash casserole kamado kettles leftover mondays mini WSM pizza pork poultry pulled pork removing membrane restaurants reviews ribs rubs sandwiches sauce seafood side dishes spare ribs steak tips and tricks turkey veggies weber one touch gold
A service of netRelief, Inc.
This site is a member of