I recently had a really cool opportunity to be a part of a fun promotion with VELVEETA called the VELVEETA Treasure Chest Challenge. They reached out to YouTube content creators like myself to see if we would be interested in them sending us a mystery “Treasure Chest” full of nonperishable ingredients (one obviously being VELVEETA…), along with a gift card to purchase a protein. The rules were simple: film the unboxing of the Treasure Chest so it would be a total surprise…then take a day or so to come up with a fun recipe including the protein that would be purchased with the gift card. I hadn’t ever done something like that and it sounded like a lot of fun so I went for it 🙂
As you’ll see in the video below, the ingredients that were in the Treasure Chest were as follows:
- 1 block of VELVEETA
- 1 package of French’s French Fried Onions
- 1 six-pack of O’Doul’s Amber
I took a day to think through what I wanted to cook and came up with a Beer and Chorizo Queso Burger recipe. The idea was to make a yummy beer and chorizo queso then use the queso to top some crunchy onion burgers.
For the beer and chorizo queso, here’s all ya have to do (takes less than 20 min…):
- Brown the chorizo in a skillet then drain the fat and set aside
- Cube up the block of VELVEETA
- Add the cubed VELVEETA, 1 can of Ro-Tel, 1 bottle of the O’Doul’s Amber and the browned chorizo to a sauce pan over medium heat
- Cook until the cheese is completed melted then keep on low (make sure to not keep it too long on the burner b/c even when set to the lowest heat the cheese can still burn on the bottom)
For the burgers, all I did was mix in the French Fried Onions with some 80/20 ground chuck then grilled them up to a nice medium temperature over my Napoleon PRO605CSS charcoal grill. Top the burgers with the warm beer and chorizo queso and serve!
Thanks so much to VELVEETA for sponsoring this cook and make sure to go check out the other creative recipes that other YouTubers came up with HERE.